Wednesday 16 December 2009

Prepare to Feel Old

Workplace Learning Today pointed me to a post Ten Common Phrases That Could Soon Be History. I use similar kinds of examples in my presentations (and posts such as Work Skills Keeping Up?). I thought it might be fun for me to catalog some of the ones that I’ve used in my presentations and other places as well as have this ready for future presentations.

So here is a list of technologies that:

  • Boomers – used
  • Gen X – know what it is (probably)
  • Millenial – never used / likely don’t know what it is

If you are a Boomer or an older Gen X, this list is sure to make you feel a bit old.

Pay Phones – Collect Calls

  • Where’s the nearest pay phone?
  • Call me collect?

image

Typewriter / Ribbon / Correcting Ribbon

image

"You need to mute your sound"



Records / Phonographs

  • Sounds like a broken record
  • Skipping
  • Needle

Cassette Drive

image

image

Floppy Disk / Floppy Drive

  • Dual floppy drive
  • Word Star
  • Word Perfect

image

image

Punch Card

image

Card Catalog

image

Microfiche Reader

image

Rabbit Ears

image

Overhead Projector

image

Rolodex

image

Inbox / Outbox

image

What we did before email …

image

“Pen Pals”

“Walkman”

“Carbon Copy” or even “BCC”

What did I miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment